Interlead Language Experts is a private Language Centre for children, teenage and adult students from a wide variety of national origin. The Centre issues a formal Certificate at the successful completion of any specific program. Interlead Language Experts is officially registered with the Cyprus Ministry of Education as private institute since 1996 and it is certified by the Human Resource Development Authority of Cyprus as a professional training centre.
We take our responsibilities on private data seriously and we are committed to using the personal data we hold in accordance with the Law.
- TYPES OF PERSONAL DATA WE PROCESS
We process personal data about prospective,current and former students and where it is applicable, their parents; staff, suppliers and contractors; friends and supporters; and other individuals connected to or visiting the Interlead Language Experts.
The personal data we process takes different forms – it may be factual information, expressions of opinion, images or other recorded information which identifies or relates to a living individual. Examples include:
- names, addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses and other contact details;
- family details;
- admissions, academic, disciplinary and other education related records, information about special educational needs, references, examination scripts and marks;
- education and employment data;
- images, audio and video recordings;
- financial information
- courses, meetings or events attended.
As a language centre, we need to process special category personal data e.g. concerning health or ethnicity. We do so in accordance with applicable Law (including with respect to safeguarding or employment) or by explicit consent.
- COLLECTING, HANDLING AND SHARING PERSONAL DATA
We collect most of the personal data we process directly from the individual concerned (or in the case of students, from their parents). In some cases, we collect data from third parties (for example, referees, previous schools or professionals, or employers, or authorities working with the individual) or from publicly available resources.
Personal data held by us is processed by appropriate members of staff for the purposes for which the data was provided. We take appropriate technical and organisational steps to ensure the security of personal data about individuals, including policies around use of technology and devices, and access to school systems. We do not transfer personal data outside of the European Union unless we are satisfied that the personal data will be afforded an equivalent level of protection.
In the course of language centre business, we share personal data (including special category personal data where appropriate) with third parties such as examination boards, and relevant authorities (e.g. Ministry of Education, the Human Resource Authority, Department of Statistics). Some of our systems are provided by third parties, e.g. hosted databases, our websites, or cloud storage providers. This is always subject to contractual assurances that personal data will be kept securely and only in accordance with our specific directions. We maintain personal data about The Interlead Language Expertspast students. We do not share or sell personal data to other organisations for their own purposes.
- PURPOSES FOR WHICH WE PROCESS PERSONAL DATA
We process personal data to support the Centre’s operation as a private school registered by the Cyprus Ministry of Education and, in particular for:
- The selection and admission of students;
- The provision of language education to studentsincluding the administration of the Centre’sprograms and timetable; monitoring student progress and educational needs; reporting on the same internally and to parents; administration of students’ entries to internal and external examinations, reporting upon and publishing the results; providing references for students (including after a student has left);
- The provision of educational support and related services to students(and parents) including the maintenance of discipline; provision of the Centre’s virtual learning environment (and monitoring the same).
- The research into and development of effective teaching and learning methods and best practice;
- Compliance with legislation and regulationincluding the preparation of information for inspections, submission of information to the Ministry of Education and other government departments;
- Operational managementincluding the compilation of student records; the administration of invoices, fees and accounts; the management of the Centre’s property; the management of security and safety arrangements; management planning and forecasting; research and statistical analysis; the administration and implementation of the School’s rules and policies for students and staff; the maintenance of archives and other operational purposes;
- Staff administrationincluding the recruitment of staff and/or engagement of sub-contractors; administration of payroll, pensions and sick leave; review and appraisal of staff performance; handling of any grievance, capability or disciplinary procedures; and the maintenance of appropriate human resources records for current and former staff; and providing references;
- The promotion of the Centrethrough our websites, the prospectus and other publications and communications (including through our social media channels); and
- Maintaining relationships with Interlead past studentsby communicating with the body of current and former students and/or their parents or guardians and organising events.
The processing set out above is carried out to fulfil our legal obligations (including those under our parent contract and staff employment contracts). We also expect these purposes to form our legitimate interests.We keep in touch current or former students and their parents or other members of the school community. We ask you to join the Interlead Language Experts NewsLetter in order to keep you updated about our activities and invite you to events of interest by email. You can join the list if you click www.interlead-experts.com. Note that you can unsubscribe from the Mailing List at any time.
- HOW LONG WE KEEP PERSONAL DATA
We retain personal data only for a legitimate and lawful reason and only for so long as necessary or required by law. If you have any specific queries about our record retention periods or wish to request that your personal data is considered for erasure, please contact the Administration Department.
- YOUR RIGHTS
You have various rights under GDPR to access and understand the personal data we hold about you, and in some cases to ask for it to be erased or amended or for us to stop processing it, but subject to certain exemptions and limitations.
If you would like to access or amend your personal data or would like it to be transferred to another person or organisation or have some other objection to how your personal data is used, please make your request in writing to the Administration Department.
We will respond to any such written requests as soon as it is reasonably possible and in any event within statutory time-limits, which is one month in the case of requests for access to information.
You should be aware that certain data is exempt from the right of access. This may include information which identifies other individuals, or information which is subject to legal privilege. We are also not required to disclose any student examination scripts (though examiners’ comments may be disclosed), nor any confidential reference given by the Centre for the purposes of the education, training or employment of any individual.
- STUDENT DATA
The rights under Data Protection legislation belong to the individual to whom the data relates. However, we will often rely on parental consent to process personal data relating to students (if consent is required) unless, given the nature of the processing in question, and the student’s age and understanding, it is more appropriate to rely on the student’s consent.Parents should be aware that in such situations they may not be consulted, depending on the interests of the child, the parents’ rights at law or under their contract, and all the circumstances.
In general, we will assume that students’ consent is not required for ordinary disclosure of their personal data to their parents, e.g. for the purposes of keeping parents informed about the student’s activities, progress and behaviour, and in the interests of the student’s welfare, unless, in the Centre’s opinion, there is a good reason to do otherwise.
However, where a student seeks to raise concerns confidentially with a member of staff and expressly withholds their agreement to their personal data being disclosed to their parents, we may be under an obligation to maintain confidentiality unless, in our opinion, there is a good reason to do otherwise; for example where the school believes disclosure will be in the best interests of the student or other students, or is required by Law.
Students can make subject access requests for their own personal data, provided that they have sufficient maturity to understand the request they are making. A person with parental responsibility will generally be entitled to make a subject access request on behalf of students, but the information in question is always considered to be the child’s at Law. A student of any age may ask a parent or other representative to make a subject access request on their behalf. Moreover (if of sufficient maturity) their consent or authority may need to be sought by the parent making such a request.
- CHANGE OF DETAILS
We try to ensure that all personal data held in relation to an individual is as up to date and accurate as possible. Please notify our Administration Department of any changes to important information, such as contact details, held about you.
- THIS POLICY
As a data subject you may address any concern of yours on a matter relating to your data protection rights to the Centre’s Administration Department by sending an email to email@example.com
Any complaints you may have with regards to any violation of your rights under the GDPR may be lodged with the relevant supervisory authority whose details are as follows:
Officer of the Commissioner on Personal Data Protection
1,Iasonos Str., 1082 Nicosia
P.O.Box 23378, 1682 Nicosia
Tel: +357 22818456, Fax: +357 22304565